Monday, April 23, 2012

Ghost of Kitty Past

I have become a grouchy, unfriendly, hissing monster of a cat in my old age, my furry brothers and sisters. Well, that isn't entirely accurate; I'm perfectly amiable around humans that I have gotten to know. Especially cuddly with those who feed and shelter me on a regular basis. So I thought I would show off a picture of myself from a simpler, friendlier time. Those were the days when I would anyone pick me up and sit on anyone's lap.

Those days are now over. I have now officially surpassed the famed cat named Caesar to being the craziest cat around. According to my humans' friend Seth, that is.

I am settling down a bit as I get older. I'm almost 4 years old now, if you can believe that. Shedding season is coming around again this year. Despite that fact, I've found that I enjoy to bless my humans' laps with the grace of my furry presence. It doesn't take long for a thick coating of cat hair to cover them. If the scratch me behind the ears then we get cat hair "tumbleweeds" drifting across the hard-wood landscape.

When it comes to strangers, however, I have a zero tolerance policy. If they reach out a hand to pet me, I hiss. If they walk over to the area where I'm sitting, I hiss. If they look at me in a strange way, I stare back at them.

Just the other day Evan and Sudha's friend Dave came over. Now, strangers come over all the time, but this one had the nerve to go upstairs! Upstairs, of all places! Not only did I hiss as this clear affront to my sovereignty, I the kitty whine/growl. The same growl I used on Evan's cousin John last year.

I can't fully explain it. I get jumpy when strangers are around. I have my two humans well trained. But most other humans are not. They put me on edge, I dart around at the slightest movement from them. Strangely, though, they still make me somewhat curious. So I'm allowed to approach them, but they aren't allowed to approach me.

Spring is fully upon us now, and the windows are open more and more often. I've been getting more visits from the orange stray tom cat lately, as well. He likes to lounge on my back porch and taunt me. He walks by sometimes when Evan is out grilling. It's ok though, I let him know how I feel.

Until next time, my furry brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment