Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Frozen Northern Wastes

It has been a cold, snowy winter my furry brothers and sisters. Another 6 inches of snow dropped on us over the last couple of days, and there is now a prodigious amount of the stuff sitting on the ground. This morning the temperature was a balmy 1 degree Fahrenheit.

As I've mentioned before, this cold does not really sit well with me. I am a desert creature, originally. So I am starting to hang around my humans a lot more. They always seem happy when I use their laps as kitty-warmers, and sometimes they scratch me behind the ears in a process. And I assume I warm them up too. It's a win-win situation.

Last week I climbed into a pair of Evan's pants that was sitting on the floor and went to sleep. They were nice and warm. It was quite a shock for both of us when Evan went to put them on, however, so I may not repeat that.

I've also re-taken up the habit of lying spread-eagle on the floor and displaying my nether regions to everyone who might be interested. This always seems to get Evan and Sudha's attention.

Speaking of getting their attention: I'm still on my diet. I'm not sure why my silly humans haven't started feeding me a little more again, I've clearly lost weight! Sudha's friend Katie even told me I'd lost weight. Since Evan and Sudha don't seem to be getting the picture, I've started a campaign of complaining, swiping and pouncing that has no rival. It really is quite effective. Starting at about 6 am, I'll slink into their bedroom and swipe at anything that's exposed. They've gotten pretty good at hiding their hands and feet from me, so I've been working on my pouncing moves. I launch myself into the air and land heavily on top of anything that moves under the blanket. Now I'm not the bigget cat in the world, but let me tell you, when 10 pounds of feline lands on your leg or stomach in the middle of the night, it is definitely noticeable.

Yesterday Evan brought a big box home from work, made of real cardboard! It had lots of this strange stuff called "styrofoam" in it, and some other less important stuff. This styrofoam stuff is amazing! I spent a good half hour chewing on it. I came downstairs quite satisfied and with styrofoam crumbs all over my face.

I'm hoping that the weather will warm up soon so that the small woodland creatures that I like to stalk will come back. But until then, stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment