Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turkey Fat and Ashes

I had a religious experience this weekend, my furry brothers and sisters. Evan cooked a couple of turkey burgers on his George Foreman grill. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this type of grill, it has a little plastic receptacle for the fat and/or juices to drip down. Evan very kindly left this receptacle out for me on the counter while he was eating his burgers. So naturally, I leaped up onto the counter and licked the whole this dry. It was so incredibly delicious and filling that I didn't have to eat until much later that day.

On the subject of eating, Evan dropped some egg on the floor on Saturday morning as he was making breakfast. Now, they usually give me a raw egg yolk every once in a while. But this was different. It was "cooked," whatever that means. I sniffed at it but was not interested in it at all. Evan seemed incredulous. I tried telling him it wasn't a big deal, it's ok for me to not like egg cooked in butter, even though I'm a cat. I think he's still confused about that.
When I was a kitten, I used to climb up the backs of chairs and perch precariously on them. I've always loved climbing, and chair backs provide a great vantage point over the other, lesser, beings in the household. I stopped doing that for a while, I'm not really sure why. But recently I've started the practice again. I try to climb up there as stealthily as possible, and then swipe at the backs of Evan and Sudha's heads as they are on their computers.You can see an example of this here on the left. As you can see, my human's office chairs have nice, soft backs, and are very comfortable to perch on.

I've been observing how my humans sleep lately. They tend to lie on the bed under the blanket. I, personally, have a nice thick fur coat, so I haven't needed to lie under anything to keep warm. However, I decided to try it last Sunday. I crawled under a corner of the covers on Evan and Sudha's bed and fell asleep there. I have to see it was indeed a pleasant experience. What was even more pleasing about it is that both of them freaked out when they couldn't find me! Evan accidentally almost sat on me, giving up my position, however.

Speaking of warmth. Evan and Sudha have been setting fires in this thing called the "fireplace" lately. I find this fireplace oddly fascinating. I sit there and stare at Evan while he's cleaning it out, and while he's setting it up. In fact, the other day, I went so far as to climb into the fireplace itself while he was cleaning it out. Unfortunately for my dignity, the humans tackled me and wipe off all my paws to prevent "sooty" footprints. The nerve of those lesser creatures sometimes.

It was an exciting couple of weeks, my friends, so until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment