Monday, January 3, 2011

She Who Must Not be Named

I have narrowly survived a harrowing weekend, my furry brothers and sisters. There were four strangers staying in my house, making lots of noise, and deliberately intimidating me. But I am getting ahead of myself. I realize I haven't posted for nearly a month, so I will take this moment to say that it has been a month filled with excitement, intrigue, love, abandonment, betrayal, sleep, and most importantly, scratches behind the ears.

Sudha and Evan left me alone for a whole week starting on the 17th of December. They had my neighbor come in and feed me twice a day. He seemed like a nice enough man. But as all people, he is expected to earn my trust and respect. I will give him credit, he gave me wet food twice during that week, that is certainly a point in his favor. It was a cold week. Evan insists on setting the heat down low while they are out. He generally mutters something about my "built in fur coat" as if that were sufficient excuse to put the thermostat below 70 degrees. Cats are desert creatures, in case you didn't know, and we like the warmth!

Anyway, after about a week of all this, I finally let the neighbor start petting me. I suppose he was pretty good at it. Maybe I'll start letting him pet me a little earlier next time.

Evan and Sudha returned on the 26th, and I pretended to be extremely happy to see them. I was very cuddly for a couple of days. That was until SHE arrived.

I will only utter this person's name once because just saying it gives me nightmares. Jane (Yane, for those of you who are Spaniards) is Evan's sister. She showed up last Tuesday and had the nerve to not only try to pet me, but pick me up! She tackled me! I tried to remain calm, I politely explained to her that she had not yet earned my trust and therefore did not yet have the right to touch my divine person with her common hands. However, she only seemed to understand everything I said as "meeeeeeeeeow and *hiss*"


To make matters worse. The day after "she who must not be named" arrive, three more people arrived. Fernando I already tolerate, but Rachel and Kate I had not seen in a long time. My precious, calm house had been invaded! As if their mere presence wasn't enough, Rachel deliberately stepped on my paw as she walked by!

Little did she know that I left an especially large portion of cat hair on her pillow the next day.

This invasion culminated on Friday night, when a whole swarm of humans entered my home for a new year's party. There were just too many people. I stayed downstairs as long as I could, but then had to retire upstairs and hide under and bed. I periodically came down to check on everyone and to grab a cub of home made eggnog. At one point Evan and Sudha's friend Tara lay down on her stomach under the dining table attempting to pet me. She had obviously had some eggnog of her own, the alcohol content of which was enough to cause me to start inadvertently shedding.

Finally the horde of people left on Saturday morning, leaving me with just the six. "She who must not be named" flew out early on Saturday afternoon. That evening the remaining five people had some cheese fondue and lit a nice wood fire in the fireplace. And finally, Fernando, Rachel and Kate departed early on Sunday afternoon.

I will say this now, but I was never Happier to snuggle up in Evan's lap than after all my house guests had departed. I think I may show some more appreciation for Evan and Sudha now that I know how many crazy friends and family they have.

Until next time my furry brothers and sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment